Sunday, February 3, 2008

dad's turn

I am enjoying your blogs, ladies, and Daniel and Spencer's as well, although I haven't figured out Spencer's stuff yet. I look at them every day, and in Kati's case, I listen to them every day. Those are some fine tunes, Kati dear. I enjoy finding out what's going on in your lives, I love the photos, and the creative art work, and learning more about those grandkiddies and those kids in far off Philadelphia. Somehow, I don't see a blog for Keri and Shane, hint, hint. And I'm thinking that we men, meaning me, and Michael and Matt and Shane and Isaac, ought to make maybe a weekly contribution. So that's a challenge for us.

So, to lead out, a few thoughts this week from your old Dad.
1. Please stop praying for snow. We seem to have plenty right now, and, by the way, thank heaven for the old snowblower. We have some three feet on the level and it's piled higher than my head in many places. We hope the roof holds and we hope for no sudden melts, unless it's ham and swiss.

2. We have all felt bad for Sara and Isaac, but we have all admired their courage and determination to have a child. It seems to me the principle of atonement is operative here, that is, we do all we can do, then the Savior of mankind steps in to make up the difference. It looks like they have done all they can do, so it will be interesting to see what happens now.

3. Matt and Kati, I feel your General Motors pain. I put two engines into a G.M. van out there in Madison, the first time by an outfit that installed an engine with two bad cylinders, then the outfit went broke and I was holding the bag. Very expensive, frustrating stuff. I hate to say it, but American made autos are trouble. Maybe they're getting better, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, if I had a farm.

4. I have been reminded that it is scary business sometimes, this child-raising business. We pray that Aaron is alright, that these seizures will be temporary events, and that this sweet little boy will be A-O.K. Your Mom and I pray daily for all the grandkids, and for all of you, kids, too, just so you know.

5. I, like many of you, loved President Hinckley for his wit and wisdom and humility and kindness, and the entire Church will greatly miss him. I remember the night I saw him at L.D.S. Hospital where he was visiting his dying Marjorie, and the feeling that came into my soul, "There goes the man of God." He has served the Church and the Redeemer his entire life. Surely I ought to do the same, in whatever capacity I can. One day I shall part the veil and return home. I believe it would be best to be prepared for that day.

6. One more thought. This retirement deal is something I'm still sorting through. I have need to repent of some things, namely, my daily scripture study is not what it once was; I get to bed later than I should and so does your mother, shame on her, and I get up later than I should, shame on me, and I think I need more to do. Your Mom and Daniel and I do read the Book of Mormon pretty regularly, so that's good. I am writing, working on a book, with some 450 pages finished, and I do exercise fairly regularly, not that I like it much, and you'll find me in Church on Sunday, which I do like, and I pay my tithes and offerings, and I love my wife and family, and I do my home teaching, and I teach Gospel Doctrine, and I still go fishing . . . but still, I could do better. I could go fishing more often.

So that's a public confession. Anyway, I love you all. May our Father in Heaven smile down upon you and yours.

3 comments:

Michelle - aka Belle said...

Thanks for accepting me into your family. I Love You, Dad, and I am a better person because I know you.
-Michelle

Sara said...

Goodness I love you. And I love reading your thoughts- since you have all of this "free time" you should post more than once a week! I am so glad Mom talked you into a 1.5 week visit, I couldn't be more excited. Isaac is even going home early from work today to work on the basement, it MUST be done by May! Love you, miss you, thank you for your prayers and support, you and Mom mean the world to us!

isaac said...

I could go for a ham and swiss melt right now. Sara is still laughing about that one, she thinks you're hilarious. You're alright, haha.